Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"this little light of mine..."

"do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world..." philippians 2:14-15 (nasb)
wow. i really needed to hear that today. lately, i've been beginning to see myself fit right in with this world. i have found it quite easy to act and actually be like those around me. and while it's not bad to fit in, it is definitely not good to compromise who you are to do so. at work in the last few days, i have found myself to be snappy, impatient, quick to judge and to act on my judgments, among countless other things. and i don't like this person i'm becoming. i'm supposed to be a light in this world, not one of those onetime use flashlights, but a 100,000 watt maglight! ok, so maybe that's going a little far, but you get my drift. didn't Jesus call us to be strangers in this world? we are supposed to be different! it's a good thing! i want people to be able to see Him working in me and hopefully through me. i want to be integrous, compassionate, and patient, because this is what He has called me to and because i want to please Him. i want to show people that being a Christian, a Christ follower, can be fun and not legalistic. it's fulfilling. it's where it's at. i want to minister to these people. i know i dream of one day going to Vancouver and maybe someday back to China to minister to the people there, but i need to recognize that this is my mission field RIGHT NOW. this is where i'm at. i guess a part of me wants to be "ready" before i venture out to fulfill this calling, but i know that i will never be "there." i guess right now i'm being called to be true to myself and to my God, to my weaknesses but to my strength in Him...yeah.
as a child, when we used to sing "this little light of mine" after bedtime devotions, we would add another verse. at the very end, we would always sing, "let it shine over Shubenacadie, i'm going to let it shine..." isn't God amazing to plant that desire then and to make it grow now? i do want to share this light and this love from Him, so i guess i know what i've got to do...

2 comments:

Stu Bish said...

So the question is Reba, is it something you can WORK out? or something that is worked out?

enjoy life, enjoy the gifts God has given you. Get to know HIM better, don't be too hard on yourself!

So email me and tell me how your really doing!

Love ya sis.
Stu

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca!!

I love reading this blog because every time I can see that you're growing, realizing more about yourself and God. It's encouraging cause I love to see you grow, and it's a motivator to me too to become more of the person that God wants me to be. I love that you are seeing things through new perspectives and that God is working through you. That's AMAZING!!!!

Side note: Check out this band called Mutemath - they're incredible! They have a song called "Typical", which is pretty much our lives right now. Google the lyrics and you'll be like, wow.

Love ya girl!!

Rachael